After we changed the password for the service account we use for SQLdm, the account kept getting locked every 30 minutes – by the app supplying an incorrect (old) password.
Idera Technical Support confirmed there is no built-in functionality / utility to update the app as required following password changes.
To resolve this, we found we had to:
– log a Case with Idera Support to get access to a download and instructions
– download an encryption utility
– encrypt the new password 2 different ways
– apply these encrypted values in 3 different places
– (and shorten the password to 14 chars)
This is not exactly slick, and is likely to discourage password changes. But as with most monitoring tools, these accounts want a high level of access – so password maintenance should not be made difficult.
SQLdm should include built-in, documented functionality to allow any stored passwords to be updated as needed. Ideally this might sit in the Console, but a separate maintenance utility on the "app" server would also be better than what we have now.
Thank you 🙂