The October edition of DBArtisan tips and techniques covered three tips for using DBArtisan.
- Real time Performance Monitoring
- The SQL Editor
- Controlling Security Across Multiple Instances
You can view a recording of the event here: October Tips and Tricks
DBArtisan offers a number of different options to help you manage the performance of your databases. First, DBArtisan has a built-in process monitor that helps you understand who is connected to your database along with each user’s current activity and session-related data. For more robust performance details, DBArtisan’s Performance Analyst is a powerful client-side database monitor that runs fully contained in the DBArtisan console.
The following topics walk you through some of the performance management features:
DBArtisan incorporates a powerful SQL scripting environment, the SQL Editor. The SQL Editor lets you write, debug, test and deploy solid SQL code for your database applications. You can open multiple SQL windows.
Code is analyzed as you add content to an ISQL editor session and offers the following automated features:
- Syntax Checking: Automatically flag syntactical errors in your scripts.
- Semantic Validation: Detect object name references to objects not present in the datasource index.
- Code Complete: Insert or replace object names, selected from suggestion lists, as you edit a script.
- Hyperlink Object Actions: Invoke common object operations such as Open and Extract, as well as object type-specific operations, from object names referenced in a script.
- Paste SQL Syntax: Paste syntax for SQL statements, system functions calls, and other commonly used elements into an SQL Editor.
- Paste SQL Statements: Generate and paste complete SELECT, INSERT, DELETE, UPDATE or EXEC statements or function call syntax into an SQL Editor.
- Using Auto Replace Expressions: Create short text representations of larger text strings that can be used to quickly add the larger string to a script.
- Toggling Display of the Error Pane: View details on errors.
- ISQL Performance: Provides information and statistics about SQL statements and tables in the SQL editor. ISQL Performance provides recommendations to improve the performance of the system.
As far as security goes – Users, profiles and permissions can be propagated across multiple databases/instances easily using DBArtisan's Script Execution Facility. This tool will allow a DBA to execute security settings across multiple databases and/or schemas. See this link for details – Script Execution Facilities
Register for our next Tips and Techniques demo here: November Tips where we will cover:
- Using Projects to organize your work
- Using the Visual Query Builder
- Space Management using DBArtisan