You may notice that in Activity tab in Precise for web your location data only shows a Location Name for All. Although Precise is designed to show multiple locations currently you must define the IP range of locations in your environment. This can be somewhat cumbersome in a large environment with many different subnets. To help simplify the process you may use a XML file to list out locations and use the CLI to load your location list into Precise.
1. Create an xml file , say with name locations.xml.
2. Edit and add the following lines to it. Note: if you are monitoring a public site you may wish to add public location data from geolite (http://dev.maxmind.com/geoip/legacy/geolite/)
<locations> <location name="Lin"> <ip from="10.42.57.120" to="10.42.57.120" /> lt;/location> <location name="Sap"> <ip from="10.42.56.134" to="10.42.56.134" /> </location> <location name="Dev"> <ip from="10.42.56.180" to="10.42.56.180" /> </location> </locations>
3. Put the file in the precise root directory
4. Run the following command from the Precise root directory. Change psin_cli.bat to psin_cli.sh for Linux based environments. infrabinpsin_cli.bat -i3-user <i3-username> -i3-clear-password <i3-password> -action import-settings -dialog locations -settingsfile locations.xml
5. Now you can go to AdminPoint->settings->Locations and see the locations added.
Your location data should be broken up into the defined address ranges in Precise for Web.